Wednesday 28th April 2020
Here are some activity suggestions for today. I hope you enjoy them. Remember all activities from previous days stay on the site so if there is something that you want to revisit, you are able to do so. Thanks also for the pictures. I have been posting them on the Nursery homepage.
I can be contacted on class dojo or by emailing EYFS@theatlasfederation.co.uk
Activity Suggestions for Today
Phonics and Literacy
Ruth Miskin is delivering a speed sounds lesson on her Youtube channel at 9.30am. The programme developed by Ruth Miskin (RWI) is the one that the children will use in Reception. Nursery children may find the lessons a little dull, but the content is ideal.
View Alphablocks Series 1 episode 18 – again the link is lower down the page. The feedback that I have received from parents about Alphablocks is really positive and the children are enjoying it. The series was developed by the BBC.
An easier one for the writing today - ‘l’. See the video below. You can try writing letters from previous days too if you wish. Remember, little and often is usually the best way with Nursery aged children as is frequent revisiting of what has already been learned.
Continue working on blending skills; a vital skill is mastering reading. See link below for blending activity.
I have heard that children are making excellent progress with the name writing. Learning to write names is a marathon, not a sprint and it can take a long time. Please keep practising – little and often is the best way, as is much of the other learning that we do in Nursery.
As always revise counting to 20 with the song – link below.
Try to get the treasure in this underwater counting game. See link below.
Arts, Crafts and Understanding of the World
It is spring - a time when many animals have their young (babies). Enjoy playing this game where you have to search for different farm animals.
The PE lessons by Joe Wicks can be accessed on You Tube.
Check out the Go Noodle dance following the link below – I have included a song that the children in Reception particularly love. I hope you like it too.
Story time for Tuesday 28th April – Meg’s Eggs.
Watch the story then discuss the following questions.
1) What did Meg make in her first spell?
She made three (3) eggs.
2) What was wrong with the eggs that Meg made?
The eggs were too big and too hard to take the top off.
3) Meg said ‘we will have to go to bed without supper.’ What is ‘supper’?
‘Supper’ is a word used in some parts of the country to describe the evening meal. We tend to call it ‘tea time’ in the Midlands.
4) What happened to the first egg in the night?
It cracked open. We say the egg ‘hatched’.
5) Where did Meg take the dinosaur?
Meg took the dinosaur outside in the garden.
6) What did the third dinosaur do?
The third dinosaur tried to eat Meg, Mog and Owl.
7) How did Meg solve the problem?
She cast a spell to shrink (make really small) the dinosaurs.
8) Which was your favourite part of the story and why?
No right or wrong answer for this one as long as the children can justify their decisions.
Story for today – Wednesday 29th April 2020 – The Rainbow Fish.
Watch the video below and then discuss these questions.
1) The Rainbow Fish was described as ‘beautiful’. What does ‘beautiful’ mean?
2) At the beginning (start) of the story, do you think the Rainbow Fish was a kind fish? Why/why not?
3) Why did no one want to play with the Rainbow Fish?
4) The Rainbow Fish became ‘lonely’. What does ‘lonely’ mean?
5) What did the octopus tell the Rainbow Fish to do?
6) Did the Rainbow Fish feel happy after he had given away his shiny scales?
7) What does this story teach us?
8) Did you enjoy this story? Why/why not?