We have sent all children home with a pack of number cards. The numbers range from 1 to 10 and there are also pictures cards that children can match to the numerals. There are so many games you can play with a pack of number cards. Can you....
- Match the numeral to the picture card that represents this number (e.g. number 1 and the picture of 1 football)
- Place the numbers in order to 10 to make a number line
- Ask an adult to give you a number between 1 and 10. Can you use your number line to tell them what one more than that number is? Can you find one less?
- Close your eyes and ask an adult to take a number out of your number line. Open your eyes, which number is missing?
- Which two numbers can you add together to make 5? Use your picture cards to help. For example, 2 igloos and 3 lollipops makes 5 altogether. Can you make 5 using two different numbers?
- Can you find pairs of numbers that make 6, 7, 8, 9, 10...?
The new curriculum the government have set out this year, involves Reception really mastering their knowledge of number to 10, and all of the number bonds within 10, before moving onto higher numbers.